Monday, May 21, 2012

This is a test. This is only a test.

Grades. Yuck. I don't like them. My students don't like them. Alfie Kohn doesn't like them.

Here I am sitting in my classroom while my Algebra 2 students are taking a "unit test". Why? Because I am supposed to assign each student a letter grade that is meant to represent their... what? Math ability? Feats of memorization? The ability to regurgitate what I told them? Their understanding of certain math problems on this particular day?

A test is a pretty easy way for a teacher to defend a letter grade. Compared to other forms of assessment, they do not take too long to create, correct, and grade. Math tests in particular tend to be easier since there is (normally) one correct answer and only a few different ways to arrive at that answer. It will probably take me two hours of work to correct and grade the test my students are taking right now.

But how valuable is it really? And I am in fact harming the love of learning that I want to instill in my students by giving this test? And if I think that I am, why on earth don't I stand up and say, "Stop! Put your pencils down and let's get something meaningful done."?

One, because I'm tired. Last night, when I sat down to write the test, I had a pretty good idea how long it would take me and by what time I would be able to let my head hit the pillow. As I said before, tests are easy. I want to spend time with my two-year-old and with my wife and I know how to write a test and how evaluate a test. It's a known quantity and is not scary for me. I feel pretty certain that after I finish this test, it will be a decent tool to help me assign semester grades to my students.

Two, I prefer to follow the paths of those who have gone before me. And all of my colleagues from all of my schools, as far as I know, depend on tests to determine grades as much, if not more, than I do. Frankly, it's a bit daunting to jump off the diving board if I've never seen someone else do it before me. If I try something totally new, something that no one I know has tried, then I run a greater risk of the experience not being meaningful or effective. I only have so many teaching days and if I lose a week, I don't get it back. If I know someone has tried a particular project, then I feel more confident. I have been searching for alternatives to tests, but so far, I lack the necessary gurus. And don't send me a web link. A web link is not going to help. I need someone to sit down with me, and explain what they did and how it worked and why they liked it.

Three, I don't know that my school would look very favorably on me not giving tests. I do that with my Advanced Mathematics class, but that is not a pre-AP class. In fact, the typical student in there is likely never taking a math class again. So nobody can tell me that tests are necessary to get them ready for some big standardized test to come. I believe, but am not sure, that if I did not give tests in my Algebra 2 class, that I would get a "talking to" by some one. I know for certain that I must give a final exam (which I was planning to write during this period, but, hey, this blog is better for my soul, right?). It may be that I have sufficient flexibility in the format of that exam that I could design something that is not so test-like. But, I have a fear that would not go over so well. Hopefully, my fears are irrational.

I am sure there are other reasons I continue to give tests. But, I don't want my posts to be too long. So, now I shall stop. The testing, however, will continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment